Sunday, March 1, 2009

All Hamsters Go To Heaven

DSC00689

At least that is what we have been saying today because my teenager's hamster died today.

I took my teenager with me to Costco this afternoon and when we came back this is what transpired:

Me: (in the kitchen putting away things from the store and getting stuff out to make dinner)

Teenager: comes into the kitchen, face beet-red, tears flowing uncontrollably and says nothing

Me: What happened? OMG! You can't come in here like this and not speak! Tell me what's wrong!

Teenager: I think Thumper died!

Me: How do you know? (this happened once a few months ago and it turned out he was just sleeping)

Teenager: He's not moving and it looks like he's not breathing!

Teenager and I go to her room. I look into the cage. He is definitely dead. Poor little guy :(

Me: I'm so sorry. There was nothing we could have done to prevent it. You loved him. You had him for a really long time (she had him since August 2007)

Teeenager: sobbing loudly

Toddler: What's sissy crying for?

Me: Thumper died. He isn't going to be able to wake up again (she doesn't get it, just really hates to see big sister crying)

Toddler: gives her big sister a big hug, tells her she'll be OK (too sweet)

We finally convinced my teenager that we need to get him out of his cage because it is really going to start to smell bad. We take a cute little wooden box with a top that slides closed and put him in it. We let her say goodbye to him and had my husband take him to the garbage outside the house (without toddler seeing this). We live in the dessert, no grass, etc so we really couldn't dig a hole in the ground to bury him. It was sad. I still feel awful for her. There has been a little talk already of getting another one but I keep telling her that the next one might not last as long as this one did, we have no way of knowing.

We love our pets. We have 3 cats and when their time comes it is going to really, really suck.

Rest in peace, Thumper. You were loved.
DSC00799

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

17 comments:

  1. Awwwww. Sorry for the loss of Thumper. It sucks to lose a pet. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky is your daughter to have had a pet that long? It was part of the family. I'm sure it went straight to heaven. Hope she cheers up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sad! My girls lost their hampster when it was 3 years old...his name was Sugar and there were lots of tear shed. It's hard to lose your pet! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so sorry to hear! I still remember my little, furry friend's demise when I was small. It is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter's pet has died. One of the hardest life lessons to learn and as a parent surely to witness. I sending you both hugs.

    Visiting from SITs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Thumper. It's always hard losing a pet. So hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, so sorry to hear about Thumper...hope your kiddos feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no that is so sad, poor Thumber. Hope everyone is doing better. Stopping by from SITS and had to say HI.

    If you have time I have a giveaway up, something fun and totally out of the norm for me. Back to mom on Monday ... LOL

    Alexis ;) @ Running Away

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came over from SITS!! Sorry to hear about your hampster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry! I lost alot of pets when I was growing up, it's always so sad! Thinkin' about your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I'm sorry that happened. Losing a pet is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I found you on SITS. I'm so sorry for the loss of Thumper. Losing a pet is difficult no matter how small they are. I'm sure he had a full life, filled with love, and cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor little Thumper. It's so hard to lose what you love. I hope your daughter feels better soon. These life lessons are not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww poor thing So sorry to hear that he was a cutie!! I hope your daughter feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww there's nothing sadder than a lost pet. Thank goodness for adorable little siblings to make things better though ^_^

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry you lost your pet.

    ReplyDelete