Monday, March 9, 2009

Chicken Potpie

IMG_2291
Who doesn't love pie? Especially chicken potpie! My mom used to buy those little frozen ones when I was a kid and I loved them but I couldn't tell you the last time I had one.

I came across what looked to be a fairly easy recipe to make it myself. Not only fairly easy to make but a low-calorie and low-fat version. This is the first time ever in my life I have made this and it was a hit in my house! The picky toddler had hers on a plate instead of a bowl. She looked at it and said, "I don't like this chicken and what is this?" (holding up her circle piece of pie crust)
Anyway, she ended up licking all of the gravy off of every single piece of chicken on her plate and finally ate a few pieces AND even some of the pie crust! She then stated to all sitting at the table that she liked it! What a surprise! I was glad she finally ate some of it and ended up liking it afterall.

This comes from Cooking Light (it is like my Bible for the kitchen that magazine!)

I decided it would be easiest if I just copy and paste the recipe from their website and include my own pictures. I also put in a few notes next to some items in the recipe.

Also, this makes 3 potpies, I just cut-out 4 circles instead of 3 from the pie dough and put a little scoop of the filling on a plate for my 3 year old since I figured she wouldn't be eating much anyway.

IMG_2288

Because the piecrust topping cooks on a baking sheet and is then placed over the filling, you don't need to use ovenproof bowls for the pies. Use a bowl or ramekin as a guide for cutting the dough. You can use 2 cups chopped leftover chicken in place of chicken breast tenders.

I traced the top of my bowls (which were 4" across) with a knife around the dough which is why they fit right on top of the bowl. Everyone just pushed their crust into the filling themselves.
IMG_2289

Yield
3 servings (serving size: 1 pie)

Ingredients
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
Cooking spray
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used 1lb and doubled the coating for the chicken)
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup mushrooms, quartered (I did not use these..no one eats them in my house!)
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 425°.
Cut 3 (4-inch) circles out of dough; discard remaining dough. Place dough circles on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pierce top of dough with a fork. Bake dough at 425° for 8 minutes or until golden.
Combine flour, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and toss to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in vegetables, mushrooms, and soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture into each of 3 (1-cup) ramekins or bowls; top each serving with 1 piecrust.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 374 (27% from fat)
Fat: 11.4g (sat 4.8g,mono 4.2g,poly 1.2g)
Protein: 24.1g
Fiber: 4.6g
Abby Duchin Dinces, Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2003

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

  1. Looks like something the adults AND the kids would love! I'll be making them for dinnr tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so impressed. When can you come over and make some for us?

    ReplyDelete