Saturday, August 22, 2009

Banana Pancakes with Walnut Honey


I just bought a new cook book this week and this is the first recipe out of it that I have tried.

This comes from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook. I am not following their diet however, I thought the recipes would be good to try so I bought the book. Plus I am truly hoping some of the recipes will help me flatten my belly :)

Let me start by saying that my 4 year old LOVED these pancakes(minus the walnuts of course) and helping me mix it all together.

I made pre-made their recipe for Easy Pancake Mix the day before, You will need to make this for the banana pancake recipe.

Here is the recipe for the mix:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I did not have the pastry flour so I just used the whole wheat flour I had in the pantry)
6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix well. Store in a cool, dry place.

This mix contains more fiber than a box mix from the store and the book says it can be used in their waffle recipes as well. Plus you know exactly what you are eating....no additives :)

OK so here is the recipe for the banana pancakes:

PANCAKES
1 1/3 cups EASY PANCAKE MIX (recipe above)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup water
1 egg
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large banana, halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices

WALNUT HONEY
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon water

1) To prepare the pancakes: combine the pancake mix and cinnamon in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, water, egg, oil, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Whisk into the pancake mix and stir until smooth. Fold in the banana. Set aside.

2) To prepare the walnut honey: combine the walnuts, honey and water in a small bowl

3) Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add the pancake batter in scant 1/4 cupfuls and cook, in batches, for about 2 minutes or until the pancakes have puffed and the undersides are lightly browned. Turn the pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Serve with the walnut honey.

This is supposed to make 4 servings (3 pancakes each) but I think I ended up with 2 or 3 short of that myself.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! This looks sooooooooooooo yummy:) I just wrote down the recipe and I tjink I might make them tomorrow:)Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating on getting this cookbook. Those pancakes look yummy!! Thanks for following my blog btw. Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... IT LOOKS SOOOO YUMMY! WILL SAVE THIS RECIPE!

    WEEKEND BLOGGY LOVE FOR YOU! HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, those look yummy. I think my husband might like these. Minus the walnuts lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so good! I love making banana pancakes & muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! These look so good. I need that cookbook! :o) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this sounds like a great recipe for Sunday morning breakfast! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so good! And you MADE them!?! Color me mucho impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just looking at that book in the bookstore like an hour ago. I was really debating about getting it. By all means, keep us posted on how it works for you. It looks pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, yummy looking!!! love walnuts.

    by the way, you look just like your toon avatar in the banner :)

    ReplyDelete