Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lemon-Blueberry Muffins

I love lemons! One of the best things about living in Arizona is the fact that I have fruit trees in my own backyard. My lemon tree being my favorite. It's beautiful to look at when it's full and my family loves it when I make homemade lemonade.

I had so many lemons a couple of months ago (the season is over now) so I was using them in all kinds of recipes, this one was one of my favorites.

This comes from Cooking Light Magazine and let me tell you they taste just as good as they look! Aren't they gorgeous?!

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 cup blueberries
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Combine buttermilk, egg, and rind; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.

Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled muffins.

Note: You can make these muffins up to 2 days ahead and glaze them the day of serving

Nutritional Information
Calories:187 (23% from fat)
Fat:4.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:3.7g
Carbohydrate:32.6g
Fiber:1g
Cholesterol:30mg
Iron:1.1mg
Sodium:264mg
Calcium:59mg





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

4 comments:

  1. Lemons and blueberries :) Mmmmmmmmmmmm


    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just stopped by from SITS. Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! Will be trying this out soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That glaze sounds fantastic! So simple, but I'm sure it's SO delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete