Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast and Browned Potatoes




So I have had a couple of books sitting a shelf for quite sometime. They were both given to me as gifts and I like them but just never pulled them out to try a recipe, mostly because I have become a Cooking Light Magazine snob and rarely cook anything that doesn't come out of there!
So one day around Christmas, I took one of the books down and found a recipe that I thought sounded too good not to try. Why didn't I see it before? It is in the book entitled: Christmas with Southern Living 2002. Yes, that's right. I said 2002! So it was about time I actually tried something from it!
The best part about this recipe is that it all cooks in one pan in the oven. Easy-shmeazy!

INGREDIENTS

1 (4-5 lb) boneless pork loin roast(note...I buy a couple of these at a time when on sale for $1.99/LB)
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup coarse-grained mustard (what is that?! I found Grey Poupon Coarse ground mustard and it worked fine for me)

8 garlic cloves, minced

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

2 lbs new potatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs (optional but really impresses people!)

Place pork in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Rub with 1/4 teaspoon each salt & pepper. Combine mustard and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl; spread evenly over pork.

Peel a crosswise stripe around each potato with a vegetable peeler, if desired (I didn't do this). Cut each potato in half length-wise. Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add to roasting pan around pork.

Bake at 375* for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours or until thermometer registers 160*. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer roast to a serving platter. Surround pork with potatoes. Garnish, if desired.




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

3 comments: