Sunday, February 8, 2009

Quick Chicken-Corn Chowder

We rarely get a day living in the Southwest when the temp outside makes us feel like a nice warm bowl of soup. Today was open of those rare days for us.
So I made a soup that we love in my house. It comes from Cooking Light Magazine and it is sooo good and not only quick but very easy.

(I do leave out the jalapeno pepper due to the fact that my kids eat this soup otherwise I would love to add it in)


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups 2% reduced fat milk
2 cups chopped roasted skinless boneless chicken breasts (approx. 2 breast halves)....I take a short cut and buy a pre-cooked rotissorie chicken from the store and take the skin off
1 1/2 cups fesh or frozen corn kernels
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 3/4-ounce) cream-style corn

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery & jalapeno; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
Add flour; cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients

Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 5 minutes).

Calories: 257 Fat: 8.1g Protein: 19.1g Fiber: 1.9g

Makes 6 1-cup servings
I serve this with a nice crusty bread for dipping! So good!


MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by Critical Mass! I love the name of your blog. Too cute.

    This recipe sounds yummy. I bet I could even get my picky crew to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy...my hubby makes a corn chowder but he doesn't put chicken in it. I think it would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Popping over from roll call. Your recipe sounds so good. Wish my family ate soup. We have the occ. potato soup or chili, but only The Calm One and I eat it. The kids just don't know what they are missing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy!

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good!
    I am always looking for new recipes that I hopefully won't destroy.

    ReplyDelete