Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ground Beef Stroganoff


I have been away for a couple of days due to a modem that stopped functioning without any warning! So now I am back with a new modem and a recipe that is so easy & much better than Hamburger Helper!

This comes from the Cooking Light 5 Ingredient/15 minute Cookbook
(although this one does have more than 5 ingredients and was done in maybe 30 minutes)

Ingredients:
8 ounces wide egg noodles, uncooked (I use whole wheat because my family is used to it and it makes it an even healthier dish)
1 lb ground round
3 green onions, sliced or 1 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms (I do not use them...not a single one of us in my house likes them!)
1 (12-ounce) jar beef gravy (fat-free if you want...I don't like anything fat-free but low-fat is better)
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream (fat-free or low-fat)
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional but I do use it)

Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting salt & fat.
While noodles cook, cook meat, green onions & mushrooms in a large nonstick pan until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain (I don't remember where I saw this clever way of draining but I use the butt-ends of my loaf of bread and soak up the grease from the pan without actually removing meat from the pan!)

Return meat mixture to skillet; add gravy & next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in sherry, if desired. Serve over drained noodles.

CAL: 367 FAT: 7.6g(sat 2.4g) FIBER: 3.9g


MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds super yummy and easy! I am the only one in my household that likes mushrooms so I would probably have to omit them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I'm making it now :)

    ReplyDelete